As is often said, a person will never have a second chance to make a great first impression. If you want to enroll at a university, you should use the best application letter writing techniques to impress the admission officers. The competition is high. So, the admission committee will only choose the best applicants. In case several enrollees have the same test scores, the final decision can be made on the basis of their cover letters.
In this article, you will find info about the main aspect to consider while creating your letter of application, mistakes you should avoid, and writing services you can use to achieve the desired result.
How to Write an Application Letter – Key Steps
- Take time to carefully read the application notice or the website that advertises places at a college or university.
- List the application requirements and make a note of the materials you will need to support or include with your application.
- Draft a suitable resume or CV (curriculum vitae) to attach with your cover or application letter.
- Make sure you have authentic copies of any relevant or requested certificates.
- List all the points you will need to cover in your application letter.
- Draft three main paragraphs that show you are aware of the qualification requirements and the admissions criteria and say why you think you fit the requirements/criteria.
- End your letter with a strong conclusion requesting an admissions interview.
- Last but not least, craft an introductory paragraph that shows you understand the requirements and wish to be enrolled at the chosen university.
Choosing a Suitable Tone for Your Letter
Colleges and universities differ in terms of outlook and requirements. Therefore, application letters should be tailored accordingly. Each individual letter should address the particular characteristics or ethos of the institution it is aimed at. Above all, application letters should be freshly crafted from scratch using a tone that is specially chosen for the institution it is intended for. For instance, the wording in an application letter to undertake a cookery course at a local college will not be the same as one intended for a course at a top-ranking university.
Next to content and form, the attitude and tone are other key elements an admissions board will look for in applicants. To succeed in your application, you need to show an ambitious and charismatic attitude and you need to ensure the tone of your letter says you are in tune with the institution’s requirements.
- Gather all the required materials before beginning. These may include the notice showing the college’s admission timeframe e.g. start and end date for applications. You need to have all relevant documentation, which may include applicable certificates e.g. evidence of your qualifications, an up-to-date photo, proof of address, and testimonials or reference/recommendation letters. Where applicable, you will need to get certified copies of documents, which implies getting an authorized public official in your locality to witness and/or stamp document copies. Start a folder in your word processor software and enter the notes suggested above in point number 5. It will be easy to re-work these into your letter at a later stage.
- Do not forget that facts, figures, and hard evidence carry more weight than opinions and ideas. Those reading your letter need to know about you and be able to look at evidence of your achievements, qualifications, previous jobs, and any experience you have in the subject or field you are enrolling for.
- The best type of note-making system is the one you devise yourself. This will allow you to collect and maintain notes in an organized and ordered manner. It is a good idea not to have too much fragmentation or confusion. Good organizational skills will pay dividends and the ability to manage your time effectively will prove invaluable with this task. Your letter of application will say a lot about you in terms of your organizational skills, language ability, level of eloquence, and punctuality.
- In most cases, application letters require good writing skills. There are three essential persuasion methods to use, e.g., reason and logic, evidence and facts, and the ability to appeal to the emotions and intelligence of your readers. Use all three to develop realistic points that have a direct bearing on the topics or criteria in the announcement or advertisement for the program your application relates to.
- It is essential that you present yourself flawlessly. Thus, you should neatly organize your documents and materials, and submit everything by the due date.
- Where a list of criteria exists, address every point on that list.
- You can build each individual point into its own paragraph using the notes you made earlier and by paraphrasing text from testimonials, reference letters, certificates, etc.
- It is easy to decide on a style of writing for an application letter; it must be precise and partially formal. The language that is conversational in style is not suitable in this case.
How to buy an
Submit application letter requirements
and proceed with the payment.
Check your e-mail (save order
confirmation for furute reference).
Login to your account and communicate
with the writer/support.
Download your application letter from the
link in the e-mail we send.
Get your high grades and leave a feedback.
Things You Should and Should Not Do
Things You Should Do
- Put real effort into assembling the correct documents. Almost always, you will need a passport or birth certificate, proof of address, references from previous courses/jobs, and recommendation letters from employing organizations, previous colleagues, course supervisors, or instructors.
- Make sure your cover letter is clear, sensible, and precise in its language. Doing this right from the start will make editing easier later on.
- You may need to write a few drafts, improving the content and format of an application letter as you go.
- Make sure you clearly understand the expectations and what documents are required as part of the application.
Things You Should Not Do
- Do not underestimate the skills and knowledge of the admission officers. There will always be at least one member who understands your circumstances and knows whether you are the right candidate.
- Do not hope for the absence of competition. There are plenty of other candidates vying for the same place as you. Therefore, you need to prove that you are definitely the most appropriate candidate.
- It is best not to think or assume that it is acceptable to overstate your accomplishments and/or abilities by telling lies about how you achieved your academic objectives. Honesty and the truth always shine through and work in an applicant’s favor.
300 words per page instead of 280
Revision within 2 days (on demand)
Mistakes Writers Often Make
- It does not help to try to be overly persuasive. Every academic institution needs to find the best students, those who will fit in with its ethos and uphold its reputation. Therefore, they look for hard-working students with great potential.
- Another mistake common in applications or cover letters is not giving adequate mention to aptitude and skills. It is important to list these and say, how you developed/achieved them.
- You should not leave out anything important. You should list every skill, qualification, and experience that fits the requirements, and do so clearly and truthfully.
- A further error is writing without proper preparation and/or being in a hurry. You should thoroughly research the academic institution you are applying to in order to understand its culture, traditions, ethos, reputation, and the activities it is noted for. Prepare in advance and base your writing on these factors.
- Poor structure or leaving something out of an application pack are mistakes that are often seen. These will not do your application any favors. Know what information is required of you and address every part carefully. Give your reasons for wanting to enroll and say why it is an important part of your long-term plan.
- An application letter that uses irrelevant or inappropriate vocabulary, structure, syntax and grammar, and/or shows inadequate language skills is a sign of under-achievement. Application letters show the type of person the applicant is and what their capabilities are. Therefore, it is vital to be attentive to every detail.
Hiring an Expert to Write an Application Letter for You
The only way to make sure your application letter is perfect in every way is to let a professional writer do the job for you. This is not an uncommon practice to order custom written cover letters from experts. Very often, prospective employees and students turn to professional custom writers for help. This happens because application letter writing is not something you do every day, month, and even year. Thus, you simply do not have enough experience in this sphere. Meanwhile, those writers who work in online writing companies craft such papers regularly.
PrimeEssays.com is a reputable custom writing service that boasts a team of outstanding writers with knowledge across all spheres of expertise. Besides, our managers hire only specialists with academic degrees: BA, MA, or Ph.D. These experts have already written tons of academic papers for clients from different universities and countries. And every time they take down to work on a new order, they study the client’s instructions and start creating the paper from scratch.
Thus, whenever you need an individually written application letter, essay, case study, or any other paper, just hire one of our writers and expect the best results!
The Advantages of Cooperating with PrimeEssays.com
Every time you place an order on our writing platform, you can be sure that:
- The paper will be written from scratch by an expert with a degree in the relevant field of study. Our agents will find the person whose experience and knowledge are best suited for the task.
- The personal data you provide in the order form will never be passed on to third parties. We have the best encryption system to protect our customers and employees from data leakage. We have put in place strict privacy policies to make sure our customers make safe purchases on our website.
- Our customer care agent will meet all your needs and answer any questions. The support team works around the clock to make sure our service is available to students from different parts of the world.
- Direct communication with the hired writer will be easily done via our inner message system. You can always talk to your expert providing clarifications, requests, or asking questions.
- Our quality control officer will scan your paper with the help of a plagiarism detection tool. The quality of the provided content will also be checked. Thus, you can entrust us with your application letter writing task. As a result, you will receive an original document free from errors and appealing to the hearts of the committee members.
- You will have 48 hours to ask for a free revision. Although we only deliver high quality papers, minor corrections may be needed to make your letter more personalized. Your writer will gladly make any necessary amendments.
- Your application letter will be delivered according to your deadline. Our writers always upload custom-written papers on time.
- The price of your order will be reasonable and there won’t be any hidden fees. We have placed a price calculator on our website. So, even before you order a paper you can calculate the price. By changing aspects such as the number of pages, the level of writing (from high school to Ph.D.), and the deadline you can change the price of your paper. Comparatively low prices do not hurt the quality of our services.
The Benefits of Going VIP with PrimeEssays.com
Now you know that high quality of writing and impeccable customer service are our top priorities. Do you want more than that? In this case, we are ready to offer you a list of additional services to choose from:
- Ask one of our top 10 expert writers to work on your paper. This is the most popular option among the six main VIP services.
- Hire one of our top editors to proofread your letter of application and make corrections if needed.
- Order an additional plagiarism report. Though every paper is created from scratch, direct quotations may seem to be plagiarized, though this is not the case. Thus, a professional editor will check the text and prepare a detailed report with proper explanations.
- Opt for SMS notifications about the status of your order. This will allow you to keep track of the progress of your paper even when you are not online.
- Extend the period allowed for a free revision. Make it four days instead of two.
- Use an option of VIP support for our agent to keep an eye on your order. In addition, in this case, a writer will be assigned to work on it ASAP. Your questions and requests will be immediately addressed. Your document will become our agents’ top priority.
Our return clients often make their accounts VIP for a certain period of time, which means they choose to benefit from all of the services, listed above. In addition, they get special discounts, an opportunity to receive their papers 20% earlier than the indicated deadline, and also receive drafts of all papers they buy during the VIP period.
Thus, in case you are not sure about the format of an application letter; or your writing skills are not enough to write a great letter of application, get help from our professional writers and editors. They know how to impress admission officers and make you a happy first-year student!
Application Essay Sample
Formatting a Business Cover Letter and Email Business Development Cover Letter