In ideal circumstances, you have enough time not only to create and polish an essay but also to laze around before writing. You are not in a hurry, and you have all the time in the world to produce a masterpiece. Unfortunately, the ideal world exists merely in our dreams.
The harsh reality provides you the tightest deadline and the strictest professor. Besides, you might be the one, who constantly procrastinates and puts off the assignment till the very last day. Do not worry – dismay is not the best advisor in how to write an essay last minute. It is possible to create a good piece of writing even under pressure of time.
This article presents top 14 tips on fast essay writing
- Right mindset. Aiming to impress the teacher with a perfect essay, adopt a “can-do” attitude. Willingly meet the challenge, remain calm, block out negative thoughts, and kick off writing. It is better to concentrate on the work itself and to write logically and systematically. Enjoy the process and do not panic.
- Ban your phone and social networks. The significance of concentration could not be overestimated. Do not let your phone, Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter, or whatever distract your attention. The best possible option is to sit somewhere quiet, switch off your phone (or at least switch on “Do Not Disturb” mode), and devote the whole attention to the writing. What is more, you can utilize a full-screen text editor, for instance, Darkroom, which will help you to resist the temptation to surf the Internet.
- Typing rather than handwriting. Until you are assigned to handwrite your essay, choose to type it. First, it will be easier for you to edit and make some remarks while writing. Second, your professor will not spend additional time trying to understand your handwriting. Last but not least, you will not suffer from an achy arm after finishing. In addition, this pain will not slow down your writing process.
- Read the instructions carefully. You will regret your haste when realize that you have misunderstood the question but the essay is almost written. Do not skim the instructions but read them very carefully. It is advisable to underline or highlight the keywords in order to pay closer attention to them later. Focus on the instructions and do not let your imagination create a different task in your mind.
- Put all arguments in one sentence. We do not encourage you to spend much time on this stage as you might end up with a missed deadline. What you are supposed to do is to summarize your ideas and arguments in one sentence. The reason for doing it is simple – if you cannot do it, the chances are high that you do not have a clear idea of what you are going to write about. Hence, your essay will turn into waffling.
- Jot down your notes into the document. Killing two birds with one stone is what we call it. Write your ideas directly into the document you have created for your essay since they slightly resemble your outline. Use bullet-points or one-sentence summaries, then drag and drop them in the order you like, and voilà! – you have the sensible structure of your writing.
- Rewrite your notes. As far as you already have your outline, start writing. You can easily turn your points into an essay rewriting them into academic prose, adding some “filler”, transitional, and introductory sentences. Use linking words to tie the whole writing together.
- Put off compiling introductory and conclusive parts for last. Without a doubt, these two paragraphs are the hardest to create. This is why you need to write the main body first and only then turn to producing the introduction and summarizing the conclusion. It would be much easier for you since you will know your argument backwards and forwards.
- References. Do your references and bibliography along with your writing. Make a rule to add a footnote each time you are adding a quotation. In addition, paste the book details into the end of your document. It will save your time later.
- Proofread. Our piece of advice is to proofread each paragraph right after finishing it. Check your essay for typos, grammar and spelling mistakes. What is more, after finishing the whole essay, look through your writing once again. Check if it flows well – it will take less time than editing every minor error.
- Do not over-quote. It might seem that you are not quite knowledgeable about the topic if you insert long quotations from different scholars. Furthermore, padding out your writing in order to increase the number of words is the worst idea ever. The perfect tactic to opt for is to insert some short quotes here and there and comment on them. Remember that the biggest part of your writing piece should be based on your own thoughts.
- Be concise. Do not produce long sentences with complex structure just for the sake of long sentences. There is no reason for playing with words, so keep the sentence structure logical. Be concise with the word choice and smoothly convey your ideas.
- Take a break. You are questioning how to write an essay quickly and are not expecting to meet a word “break”? The thing is that if you feel drained and run out of ideas, it is better to take a break. Just watch your time and do not turn a small break into a 2-hour relaxation. Five or ten minutes are just enough to take a deep breath, clear your mind, and relax. Then you can continue writing “on new batteries”.
- Pamper yourself. You should reward yourself for fast essay writing. Prepare something in advance, for example, a chocolate bar, a cake, or an episode of your favorite series, and promise to pamper yourself after finishing the essay. You have worked hard – you deserve the reward!
Now you know how to write an essay fast!