When you are to write a compare and contrast essay, your task is to reveal the similarities and highlight the differences between two objects. You need to underline the features that have never been examined by anyone else.
Pick two objects that can relate to one group but still have wide divergences. Take a look at the following items:
- Writing and painting. These are two forms of art that still differ from each other.
- Hockey and tennis. These are two types of sport but there are some differences between them.
- Cats and tigers. Both are animals but they differ from each other in a certain way.
Take a sheet of paper and write down the peculiarities of each item. It will help you generate some ideas for your paper. Then, define similar and opposite features.
Before you begin preparing your work, try to answer the next questions:
- Do you need to both compare and contrast the examined objects or cover only one aspect of the topic?
- Do the explored items differ from each other in any way? Are they similar in any way?
- Do you have enough information about the topic you are dealing with in order to write a top-quality essay?
It is necessary to analyze each of the above-mentioned points in detail.
Do you need to compare and contrast the examined objects or cover only one aspect of the topic?
While some professors ask students to explore two issues in terms of similar features, others, assign them to focus on differences of the examined subjects. No matter your task, you need to make sure that your thesis statement presents the core idea of your topic. Imagine that the topic of your essay is “Social Networks.” There are different ways of writing a thesis statement for such a paper. It depends on the given requirements.
If to talk about a contrast essay, a thesis statement may be the following, “Taking into account a considerable diversity of social networks, Pinterest allows users to create their personal collections of photos while Facebook is more suitable for discussing daily routine.”
In case you deal with a compare and contrast essay, a thesis statement can be written in the following way: “It is possible to make friends with a large number of people having the same interests both on Facebook and Pinterest, however, the latter is about letting users create more personalized platforms.”
Do the explored items differ from each other in any way? Are they similar in any way?
If you want to write a one-of-a-kind compare and contrast essay, you should not focus on obvious similarities and differences of the examined subjects. For example, every person knows that tigers are more dangerous than cats. You need to find something special about the addressed matter to interest readers. For instance, you may discuss how cats and tigers reveal their predatory features, or why a hockey player should be focused on teamwork, while a tennis one should be wittier to win.
You need to work very hard to create a fascinating compare and contrast essay. Your main task is to take a fresh look at routine things.
Do you have enough information about the topic you are dealing with in order to write a top-quality essay?
If it is not required to conduct research for your paper, you should select the issues you are familiar with and be sure that you can examine them thoroughly.
When getting your assignment, you may be asked to reveal several similarities. Therefore, you need to understand that it is essential to pick a good topic to be able to produce a compelling and reasonable paper.
Compare and Contrast Essay Sample
Arranging a Compare Contrast Essay
There are two major ways of organizing a compare and contrast essay:
- First, you may provide data about each of the explored items in separate paragraphs.
- Second, you may provide information about two items in one paragraph. Then discuss their similarities which will serve as a transition to examining their differences.
Calculate the price