How to Format a Professional Business Letter in Word
It seems that it is easy to start business correspondence and anyone can cope with that easily; however, it implies more than mere creating a document and typing a text. When it goes about a business cover letter or any other type of business correspondence, it requires profound knowledge regarding the business letter template word and main requirements to the official style. It is recommended to use Microsoft Word as a processing program; however, you should have an insight into a wide range of functions to have your letter made professionally. There are boundless options of formatting business letters in Word; so, your documents can be formatted in a customized manner according to the needs of your company.
Calculate the price
- Start Microsoft Word. Use the default page setup of 8.5 inches by 11 inches for your MLA format letter or any other type of letters. In case you need a different layout, you can choose the tab “Page Layout” and click on the button “Size” to select an appropriate size of the paper.
- Use the default settings type for typing your name. Add your job title if needed. In Word, the setting is Times New Roman, 12 point single spaced. Later on, it will be easy to select another formatting.
- Having pressed “Enter”, type your address. Then, press “Enter” two times and add the name and address of the addressee.
- It is a must for business letter writing to have a salutation that you can choose in accordance with the relations you have with the addressee. The guidelines given by the Purdue University tell to use the full name of a person with the word ‘dear’ no matter if that is a female or male, and a colon after that.
- Type the body of your personal business letter and then press “Enter” two times to have a space between the paragraphs. According to the default settings, the alignment of the body text is done to the left; if it is different, you can click somewhere on the paragraph and choose the tab “Home” with the corresponding button “Align Left”.
- Use the highlighting to make the letter appearance different with a focus on a certain word, word combination, line or even a whole paragraph. The tab ribbon “Home” has a number of options, and you can choose “Intense Emphasis” to apply a new style with the text formatted into italic blue. Change the business letter format spacing, font size, add bullets, use boldface, or change the colors to make the needed business letter sections different. It can be a call to action, a review, or an announcement of a product which you want to focus on.
- Click on the tab “Page Layout” to add a watermark to the letter. It is a perfect option for the draft letters or for confidential correspondence. If you choose the button “Watermark” and apply watermark lettering to the official email, the text will be faded behind the main text of the letter.
- Clicking on the option “Picture” in the “Insert” tab, you can add an image to a letter. Search for your business logo in a digital copy double-click on it to add it at once. According to the business letter format for students, the graphic image of a logo should be dragged to the top-right corner.
- Use highlighting at the bottom of the letter with your name typed. You can choose the font in the handwriting/script style clicking on the “Home” tab with the “Font” options. If you opt for Bradley Hand or any other font of such kind, it will look as if your letter has been signed. You can also add a digital signature following the same procedure as it is with a logo. Another option is just to press the “Enter” and leave some space for manual signature after the letter is printed.
- Choose the tab “File” and click on “Save As.” Save the business letter with a clear file name by clicking on the button “Save”.
Create Professional Business Email Letter Format
Nowadays, traditional letters are frequently replaced with emails. An electronic letter can easily supplement a business cover letter, a memo, and other types of business letters. Email format writing is frequently viewed as informal, while professional communication requires formality and special tone. When it goes about small businesses, they generally want their competitors and clients to see how polished and professional their image is. Business email address and formatting is mostly similar to those of the printed documents; however, there are also certain style peculiarities and technical differences.
It is expected that a traditional letter starts with the date written in the upper left corner; however, it is not needed in the email as the addressee will know about the date owing to the automatic settings of email programs. Business email format implies having the name of the company, address and name included as well as it is in the traditional letter; however, there are special fields added in the email programs for the name of the addressee, email subject, enclosed attachments and extra addressees. An email will look more professionally if the name of the addressee is added from the contact list; thus, it will include a full name instead of a manually typed email address. It is important not to forget to indicate the subject of the email making it concise and clear. Furthermore, formal business letter format does not allow using either words in all capital letters or abbreviations.
The first professional email to the recipient is typically opened with a standard greeting, for instance "Dear Mrs. Brown:" Later on, when you have established closer relations and exchanged several emails, it is appropriate to use less formal greetings, for example starting an email with only a first name. Nevertheless, the tone should be professional as each email reflects the image of company through communication. A letter template word and an email will benefit from using a block body style when there is a space between the body and salutation, and then between the closing lines and the body. It is recommended to use single spacing between the paragraphs with no embellishments. Italics and bold font are needed only for special emphasis of some idea. Arial, Times New Roman or any other easy-to-read traditional font is fine; however, you should avoid HTML or colored fonts. Your aim is clear communication, and the recipient should have no problem reading through the email.
A proposal email or a letter sent to the first-time recipients is traditionally closed with such phrases as "Kind regards," "Sincerely yours," or "Thank you for your assistance" in case of formal communication. It is appropriate to write "Thanks" or just "Best" if it is a follow-up email and you have already established good working relations with the recipient. You do know how to write a letter in word business email; the same applies in business email writing. It is important to take into account the content of a message, the circumstances, the recipient’s preferences and the aim of the sent message from your company. Do not forget to mention your full name, job title and position, as well as the company signature, sending the first email. Later on, when an email is written in a friendlier and less formal tone, it is fine not to mention the last name. Use the company logo or signature for employees if the company has it. Include all the details of the company, in particular a phone number and physical address. A printed letter with a letterhead is replaced with a business email with a signature, including an email address, a cell phone number, and website address, if any.
Some types of messages sent in professional email address format require using a disclaimer at the bottom; it can be a statement which explains to the recipients that an email should not be viewed as an offer or a contract. Using disclaimers provides you with legal protection; however, they are supposed to have correct wording. It is advisable to apply to an attorney and have a disclaimer written professionally to cover all potential cases. Indicate all the attachments in the body of your email; otherwise, the recipient can view them as spam. Finally, make sure that each of the messages has neither spelling nor grammar errors.