|← Solving Air Pollution||Micro Power →|
Custom Transportation Options to Sylvania Campus essay paper
According to Wing-Kit Chung, the Vice President of Administrative Services, over sixty percent of carbon emissions at the campus are from car traffic (Hill, 1). Hill notes, that this is in contravention with the signed Climate Action Plan that aims at preserving the climate. With a daily traffic of over 17000 vehicles most of which are single occupancy cars, the Action Plan will remain a tough to implement project. Furthermore, Schlossberg (2) notes that, gas emission from cars is a bigger contributor to the climate change. There is, thus, a need in such research and in higher learning institutions like universities and colleges to lead in finding quicker and more efficient ways of reducing carbon emission into the atmosphere. This write up is a recommendation on how to limit the number of single occupancy vehicles in PCC Sylvania Campus.
Transportation Options to Sylvania Campus
According to Hill (1), Sylvania Campus has various transportation means to choose from. These include;
- the use of shuttle buses,
- public transport for instance, Tri-Met Bus, which though charged $ 92, is allowed to operate in the campus premise. These buses, for example, have many stop locations throughout the Portland metro area, which services all PCC campus locations (Nygaard 19).
- Riding to and from campus
- motorcycles, and bicycles.
- Similarly, personal vehicles for current enrolled students are charged at $160 per month are also available.
The students and staff members can therefore choose on either of the options to travel to school. However, these means of transportation options need to be synchronized to cut on the carbon emission from vehicles to meet the requirements of the Climate Action Plan.
Recommended Option for Reducing Car Trips to Sylvania
From the above available options, it is recommended to use a shuttle as the best option in reducing the trips to the campus. This is because of the following;
- The flexibility of the option to allow changes in times of changing weather,
- The readiness of the option in incorporating technology in its service.
- The need to save on building and maintenance of new parking spaces, which according to the Vice President of Administrative Services, are rather expensive.
- Furthermore, the use of shuttles will go a long way in reducing the number of cars used by both the students and the staff thus reducing greatly the amount of fuel being consumed and therefore also that of greenhouse gases being released to the air.
Plan for Implementing the Best Option
Having noted the tendency of many noble projects to fail because the client or the users of the project lacked information and therefore could not participate in implementing it, the first step in implementing the use of shuttles will be; to provide information on the importance and benefits that can accrue in the use of shuttles to students, staff, and faculty. This will involve the explanation of every reason as to why all the stakeholders of the campus should support this project. These may include;
- Creating awareness that the use of shuttle will allow only a limited number of shuttles to operate during summer. Similarly, stakeholders should be made aware that the shuttles can easily be used in giving rides to people, who want to attend to emergency cases at their homes. This will greatly help reduce the distances that individuals have to travel in their private cars.
- Another reason for recommending the use of shuttle to Sylvania Campus is because most shuttles are owned by the communities; it allows negotiation with the campus’ Parking and Transportation Service to give a discount upon the use of their shuttles. According to Mickney (1), colleges and educational institutions need to embrace a group system to not only have low levels of carbon emission but also to use less amount of money in maintaining roads.
- In addition, such systems make it cheaper to maintain parking spaces and the feeder roads within the campus itself. This means, that the campus can spend the extra money from the savings on those projects to promote the environmental conservation.
- According to Nygaard (9), it is also possible for shuttles to have tracking devices to allow the students to avoid missing a bus whenever they want to travel to campus. He notes that shuttles can easily be tracked using GPS devices. It can specifically involve the use of such devices such as mobile phones to locate them. It will save time spent on waiting for the shuttle at the station.
- Additionally, the stakeholders should be made aware that shuttles can provide bike racks where students can keep their bicycles when they do not want to cycle or the weather is not conducive for cycling. It would therefore encourage the use of bikes, which in turn reduces the amount of gases released into the atmosphere.
- Similarly, operation of shuttle can provide for overflow vans to cater for the unexpected changes in departure and arrival of vehicles at their stations (SMC Shuttles, 1). These changes can be caused by abrupt shifts in the weather or a breakdown of a shuttle. However, if students are informed of the availability of overflow vehicles to rescue them, they will be willing to leave their cars at home to use the shuttle for their transport.
On the other hand, the campus administration can also discourage to use single occupancy vehicles in the campus premises by putting punitive measures to those, who use such vehicles. For instance, parking fee could be raised to discourage single occupancy vehicle users. Similarly, there should be no allocation of parking spaces so as to allow parking to be on a first come first served basis. This will force all those, who often come later, to leave their vehicles at home scared to remain without parking spaces.
The writer has recommended the use of shuttles as the best option of transport by Sylvania Campus. From the recommendation, it is clear that use of shuttle has many advantages besides contributing to the overall mission by the campus to reduce the carbon emission through the Climate Action Plan signed by the Vice President of Administrative Services.
Excellent Transportation Options to Sylvania Campus essay writing service: professional academic help
- Micro Power
- Computer Forensic in Criminal Cases
- Solving Air Pollution
- Endangered Species in the United Arab Emirates