STEEP analysis is used to assess the various external factors influencing an organization or a business. It is important to understand that STEEP is an acronym for Social, Technological, Economic, Environmental, and Political trends of an organization.
Google Company is a world-renowned multinational Internet and Software Corporation, more specialized in cloud computing, Internet search and advertising. The company sources its profits majorly from the advertising field, through its AdWords program. Currently, Google Company is estimated to manage over one million servers across the world and process over a billion search requests.
In this paper, I will conduct an in-depth STEEP analysis of Google as a Company. The discussion is as follows:
- Social Trends- The term social refers to how people live and interact with its environment. Google as a service provider has played a vital role in nourishing the people’s social aspect of life. Facebook, which came into the limelight in 2004, is an example of a social website, which is commonly advertised by Google. Recently, Google introduced its own social website named Google+. The Google+ was solemnly introduced in response to the introduction and fast prominence of the so-called facebook. Gmail is also another Google feature, which can be used as a social site (Brogan, 2011). Through Google Buzz, Google+, and Gmail, people can easily interact all over the world. Some other social sites not owned but advertised by Google include yahoo, eBay, YouTube, Tagged among others. All the above-mentioned sites have greatly contributed to interaction, as commonly witnessed amongst the youths. Other than that, Google has been a source of entertainment. Through the use of YouTube, people can download all sorts of entertainment such as music, both online and offline games, movies among others.
Education is a field that has been widely embraced. All employment opportunities require someone who is well educated. To ensure that students access the relevant materials, Google has gone a notch higher by providing educational materials such as the Google books, Journals, Videos, Google maps among others. Furthermore, Google is availed in various languages so as to suit a variety of users. The company also has a feature known as the Google translate, which help its users to translate a document from one language to another, without altering its meaning. Google maps have also nourished the student’s knowledge in geographical aspects. In essence, students all over the world have benefited from Google, since they can adequately obtain relevant materials to handle their researches (Schaper, Volery & Lewis, 2012).
Religion is another social aspect that has been explained by Google. Google has represented all religions in the world. Since its target is to attract as many users as possible, Google saw a need of addressing all religions so as to avoid oppressing others. Religion is one of the most sensitive aspects of social aspects of human life. This therefore implies that to avoid the possibilities of wrangles amongst the users of Google, all religions have to be represented and portrayed as per the interest of the majority.
Health has been prioritized as a social aspect. Google Company is very keen in health matters. Through the use of Google search engines, internet users have benefited since they can easily obtain online advice concerning their health. It is through Google that people are advised on types of foodstuffs to eat, and those to avoid. Such advices have really shed knowledge to the population, and hence have reduced chances of people falling sick. Since use of the internet has been embraced by many, it is easier to alert people on the outbreak of contagious diseases; hence preventive measures are put in place before such diseases are further spread.
- Technological Trends- in the 21st century, rampant technological advances have been witnessed. Any organization therefore has to adjust so as to stay in business; otherwise they risk being phased out by their competitors. It is worth knowing that Google as a Company has not been left out when it comes to technology. Recently, Google Introduced a user-friendly search engine named Google Chrome. In addition, some Gmail features such as the Google Talk and the Google+ were introduced to enhance convenience to its users. Specifically, Google+ introduced was in response to the competition offered by the Facebook social website.
- Economical trends- Established in 2004, the Google Company has grown tremendously and we can comfortably say that it is well established. This is because most people currently use Google while browsing, socializing, and moreover transacting their businesses online. Other than providing services to its users, Google Company also avails employment opportunities in various fields such as Engineering, Marketing, Human relations, among others (WetFeet, 2010).
- Environmental trends- Google Company have had some notable environmental trends. By environmental trends, we mean the entire surrounding of the business as a whole. For a business organization to thrive, it must have a humble environment that allows it to establish, grow, and nourish. Since Google benefited from a good environment to establish, it is therefore important that it articulates matters on environment and how to improve it. In Google search engines, we do realize that there are numerous topics, which expounds much on environment.
- Political trends- Political fields usually entail the leadership and the political trends of a given country. For the company to nourish, it must have a good political environment, free from interference. Some businesses have failed due to interference from politicians, with the urge of satisfying their selfish gains. Google Company, could not have excelled as it has, had it been politicized. Despite some few criticisms, Google Company has still managed to emerge the best (Parmelee & Bichard, 2011).