Probation is a period of supervision for minors found guilty or who have pleaded guilty of offences. The juvenile is supposed to complete the terms set by the court (Hough et al, 2006). Instructions are given in the form of a court order which should explain in detail what it entails to complete a successful probation term. The officer in charge should read out the terms to the juvenile and his/her family for clarification on any issues.
What do you feel is the most effective way to administer probation?
For effective administration of probation, all available information about the minor and the case should be retrieved. The information should then be compiled into a case plan, which is an outline for the youth to follow in order to complete a successful probation term. A juvenile probation officer should maintain clear, accurate, and concise case notes. They should complete reports as required by the court in case the minor breaks the rules of his/her probation (Hough et a,l 2006).
Do you believe that probation and parole should be administered together?
Parole is the conditional early release from prison under supervision after a portion of the sentence has been served. It assumes that the accused has transformed. If administered together, they would save the country a lot of resources while reducing congestion in prisons.
How can probation officers establish better relations with probationers?
Probation officers should not sexually harass probationers through verbal and physical advances. A probation officer should maintain confidentiality with the probationers. The information should not be shared with anyone, not even close family members. Further, there should be no discrimination against anyone on the bases of sex, race, age, or religion (Hough et al, 2006). In addition, there should be no conflict of interests. The probation officer should not have a personal relationship with anyone connected with the probationer as this would lead to the conflict of interests.
Would you like to be a probation officer? Why or why not? What major problems would you face? How would you attempt to solve them?
Yes, it would be enjoyable helping out the youth and see them reform after completing the probation term.
Many problems probation officers face include difficult probationers who violate court orders, others commit new crimes thus posing a risk to the community while increasing difficulties in supervision. Probation is time-consuming, and its paperwork is technical and should be done correctly to avoid inconveniences. Personal conflicts may also come up. The judge holds the final decision, so he can send a probationer back for probation, and the officer should comply. This will increase the resistance level of the probationer who is upset at being in probation in the first place.
The main solution to these problems is maintaining a good relationship with the probationer in order to encourage them to reform. This will ease the probation officer’s work. The paperwork should be done carefully to avoid inconvenience.
- Is it true that most countries prefer probation and follow the court orders given? Yes
- Should the probation officer give details of the court order to the probationer? Yes, to ensure they get them all clearly.
- Is the probation officer fully involved in reforming the youth? Yes. This is because at times, the probationer is supposed to report to him daily.
- Is it advantageous to administer parole and probation together? Yes, it saves resources
- Which is better, parole or probation? Probation is better as it helps in decongesting prisons.
- Is it true/false that the country spends more resources in parole? True, it spends a lot of resources.
- How advantageous is it for the probation officer to maintain a good relation with the probationer? Firstly, the probationer is assured that his personal information is confidential and they tend to reform quickly.
- Who is likely to reform speedily, one with a good relation with the probation officer or the one with a bad relationship? The probationer with a good relationship is likely to reform speedily.
- How far should the officer-probationer relationship go? The officer should not have a sexual relationship with the probationer.
- What would it take to be a probationer officer? It is an involving job that requires a lot of sacrifices
- Should the courts and the probation officer work together in analyzing whether one has reformed? Yes, the probationer officer has to work closely with the youth, and it can be assumed that he knows him better.
- Does accurate work reduce the work log of the officer? Yes, there will be no inconveniences or repetition of work done.