Our Hidden Government Benefits

A number of assertions have come forward regarding the role of the government. From a recent poll, it is clear that many American citizens do not see the value attached to the government and the role that it plays. From this poll, many people prefer small governments and a reduction in activities that it carries out. However, from another perspective, it is clear that those who propose for small governments and a reduction in its activities have highly benefited from these roles. This is despite not wanting to appreciate the role the government plays in the assisting them. Another poll undertaken in 2008 by the Cornell Survey Research Institute unfolded that 56% of the participants denied having received any assistance from the government. However, as it turned out, around 94% of those denying benefits from the policies set by the federal government. This clearly shows how Americans quickly forget the role the government plays in the society despite experiencing and enjoying the rewards of these policies in their own lives. This is because what the government does currently is largely invisible.

            No one can refute the detrimental impacts that the economic downturn that recently faced the world had on individual nations and the world at large. The author is categorical to state that the economic downturn was the worst to have hit the world after the world recession. From the article, the author analyses how Americans have tried to hide from the facts by asserting that everything is right and running smooth. However, despite this, government has played an indispensable role, it has pout in policies that protect all its citizens and ensure that life remains the same. It is the role of the citizens to realize this and appreciate for all that the government is doing.

            Individual, political affiliations bear the largest blame for these perceptions. In the Cornell poll, one respondent who considers himself liberal was 20% high in appreciating having benefited immensely from government projects and assistance. This is in relation to another individual who uses the same programs and has benefited enormously but considers himself or herself conservative. Similarly, those with the assumption of the government spending much on welfare programs were exceedingly small. Apart from the political ideologies, the structures of the policies influence awareness. Those policies that are more visible expect people to interact intensively and frequently so as to qualify for the benefits.

            With the harsh conditions, each person is facing, the blame game is everywhere. The poor assert that the government is doing nothing to protect them; while those in the top assert that the government should come up with effective policies to encourage investment and trade. Programs such as Medicare, disability payments and employment policies should be framed in a way that all free protected and their interests safeguarded instead of feeling the other way round. The case for a large percentage of people denying having benefited from the government should not be taken lightly.

            A policy such as the medical care policy or the social security has its members receive checks straight from the government; this is the reason why 56% of people agree to having received assistance from the government. However, the other 44% believe that the checks they receive are rightful theirs, especially since it is their finance that supports the whole process and. It is their rightfully earned right, and nobody can scrub it. The state should come up with ways to make the policies more visible so as to make people appreciate the role it is playing. Let people be able to say that the government has provided them with houses. They should accept that the state has played a crucial role in influencing their current living standards. The hidden policies will remain unappreciated, and people will consider everything the government does as their right, which is a result of their efforts.

Order now

Related essays