So, you want to do some practice in order to be prepared for the writing section of your English language test. If that’s the case, take a look at our list of TOEFL essay topics where you are sure to find plenty of practice material. Additionally, our guide includes a list of essay questions as provided by the organization that sets these language tests i.e. ETS.
The topic suggestions provided here are also ideal for practicing for oral tests – simply allow yourself a 45-section slot to speak on any topic(s) that appeal to you.
Calculate the price
In TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) exam scenarios, the writing part is the one test-takers often find most difficult. A good understanding of the spoken and written materials is needed as well as good communication and good grammar skills.
The two distinct tasks in a TOEFL include integrated and independent writing sections. The integrated writing (first) part involves reading a short text and listening to a talk or recording on the topic of that text. And, please remember, there is a wide range of TOEFL essay topics. The lecture information may explain, refute or supplement the information presented in the corresponding text. While reading and listening to the material, students may take notes. A three-minute slot is allowed for reading a text of between 200 and 220 words. Then you are given a 20-minute slot to write a 150 to 225-word essay based on the spoken and written material.
The independent writing (second) part involves writing an evidence-based essay using the same materials. As well as drawing on appropriate facts or expressing your views on the given issue, you also need to explain your stance, provide examples, use relevant quotes, and so on. Ultimately, your task is to draw generalizations and conclusions from the material, and this applies to TOEFL essay topics in general.
Because virtually all TOEFL essay topics are time-limited, you need to manage your time in such a way that you have, roughly, a 5-minute respite period afterward to check the essay you have written. This allows time to reread your text and fix any errors of a stylistic and grammatical nature, thereby improving your overall essay’s quality. The four main types of TOEFL essays expect the test-taker to:
- Develop an argument;
- State a particular preference;
- Agree with something or disagree;
- Explain something.
The test question posed to the test-taker influences the essay type. To complete every task in the TOEFL writing section, it is necessary to have a good knowledge of the details and features of every type of essay. The independent writing part involves a 300 to 350-word essay to be completed in just a half-hour.
Practice is the best way to prepare for a TOEFL examination. The questions and topics in the writing section will vary in each test. Therefore, it is important to become familiar with the requirements of each task to perfect how you will tackle them. Sufficient practice will make both tasks in the writing section easier and more natural for you.
Experienced writers with
the highest satisfaction rates.
Great discounts for new
customers and returned ones.
Full confidentiality of your
personal and contact information.
Average score chevron_right
List of TOEFL Essay Topics
- In certain countries, it is commonplace for teenagers to combine part-time or weekend jobs with their studies. Would you say this practice is good or bad? Your opinion as well as your reasons for agreeing or disagreeing should be supported with examples.
- Would you agree or not that parents are the best people to teach their kids. Your answer should be supported with reasons and examples.
- There are a number of reasons why people go to college, e.g., to increase their knowledge, prepare for a career, gain new experience, and so on. Why would you say people go to university or college? Give your reasons along with supporting examples.
- Would you agree or disagree that studying bygone times is of no value to people who live in the here and now? Your answer should be supported with examples and reasons.
- A particular company has indicated it intends to build quite a big factory close to the community you live in. Discuss the implications of this for your community. What are the advantages and downsides? Would you oppose or support the plan for the factory? Choose your stance on the issue and explain it to readers.
- Paying visits to museums is something a lot of people like to do when they go to other cities and countries. Why would you say this is so? Provide supporting examples along with your reasons.
- It is the belief of many (or even most) individuals that humans have a greater need for housing, industry, and farmlands than animals and that land should not be saved for endangered species. What is your view? Your opinion as well as your reasons for agreeing or disagreeing should be supported with examples.
- In the event you had the opportunity to change a single important element of the town where you live, what change would you make? Your answer should be supported with reasoning and examples.
- At times people should do certain things that they might not necessarily enjoy. Is this a statement you are in agreement or disagreement with? Your answer should be supported with reasoning and examples.
- Which is better – enjoying the money you earn as you get it or saving it for the future? Provide supporting examples along with your reasons.
- You recently heard that the community you live in maybe getting a new high school, which is yet to be built. Is this a plan you would oppose or support? Please give the reasons for your thinking along with relevant examples.
- People living near each other are called neighbors. What qualities would you say good neighbors have? Provide examples to support your opinions.
- It is up to individuals and groups of people to resolve any problems they have. What do you think should be borne in mind when attempting to resolve such problems? Provide reasons for your answers along with relevant examples.
- Success is often attributed to hard work and not to luck. Is this a view you would agree with or disagree with? Provide reasons to explain your stance on this issue as well as relevant examples.
- With food being easier and quicker to prepare nowadays, would you say this has improved people’s lives and how they live? Provide reasons for your answers along with suitable examples.
- Some people would argue that communication within families and between friends has been destroyed by television. Support your opinion with particular reasons and appropriate examples.
- How is the behavior of people influenced by television? Provide reasons for your answers along with relevant examples.
- Modern technology allows today’s students to acquire information more quickly and to learn faster. Would you say this statement is true or false? Support your opinion with reasons and applicable examples.
- Is success more dependent on hard work or natural-born ability? Support your opinion with reasons and appropriate examples.
- Some individuals have a preference for preparing and eating food at home while others have a preference for eating in restaurants and at food stalls. What is your preference? Support your answer with reasons and appropriate examples.
- A recent announcement tells you that your neighborhood is to become home to the largest shopping center for several miles around, but it has yet to be built. Are you likely to oppose or applaud such a plan? Support your views with reasons and appropriate examples.
- There is a saying that books are not the source of all learning. Your task here is to look at knowledge acquired from books and knowledge acquired through experience by comparing and contrasting the two methods. Which of these sources is best in your opinion and why?
- Some games are of equal importance to both adults and children. Would you agree with this statement or disagree with it? Support your views with reasons and appropriate examples.
- A lot of people are convinced that the activities of humans are causing harm to our Earth. Others believe that Earth is made better by our activities. In your opinion, which view is true? Support your opinions with reasons and relevant examples.
- Children who are raised in a countryside environment have better lives than those raised in large cities. Is this a theory you would agree with or disagree with? Support your views with reasons and relevant examples.
- Some individuals cannot resist taking up sports that are dangerous while others are drawn to activities that are dangerous. In your opinion, what are the reasons for this? Support your thoughts with reasons and suitable examples.
- It is imperative that colleges and universities allocate an equal amount of funding to student sports as is given to libraries. Is this a statement you are in agreement or disagreement with? Support your opinion with reasons and relevant examples.
- You have heard that someone you are acquainted with is moving to the city or town you live in. In your view, what is this individual likely to like or not like about living in your city or town? Support your thinking with reasons and relevant examples.
- There are people who feel that it should be compulsory for students to attend college and university classes while others think that students should have the option of attending or not attending. What is your view? Support your viewpoint with reasons and appropriate examples.
- You have been asked to choose someone to show others how to do some task. When choosing that person, which of the following factors do you think are most critical to take into account:
- The individual’s educational level;
- The amount of job-related experience they have.
Support your opinion with reasons and appropriate examples.
- Would you say that progress is never a negative thing? Support your view with reasons and relevant examples.
- A certain proportion of people like living in small towns while others much prefer living in large cities. Which of these places do you have a preference for? Support your thinking with reasons and relevant examples.
- When someone suggests you should “never ever give up,” they mean you should keep working towards your goals and that you should never stop. Is this a philosophy you agree with or disagree with? Support your thinking with reasons and relevant examples.
- Name some of the essential qualities a person needs to be a good boss or supervisor. Support your views with reasons and relevant examples.
- Out of the following methods of transportation, choose one method and explain how you believe it has changed the lives of people:
- The automobile;
- The airplane;
- The bicycle.
Support your views with reasons and relevant examples.
- Which skill is it critical for people to learn if they are to succeed in the modern world? Select a skill and support your choice with reasons and suitable examples.
- There are people who believe they would be able to learn more effectively on their own than with a teacher’s help. Other people firmly believe that being taught by a teacher is always best. What method would you agree with? Support your choice of the answer with reasons and suitable examples.
- You have recently heard that your community is to become home to a newly built restaurant. Would you oppose or be pleased about such a scheme and why? Support your views with reasons and suitable examples.
- One of the most essential characteristics to succeed at school or in the workplace is self-confidence. Is this statement the one you are in agreement or disagreement with? Support your thoughts with reasons and appropriate examples.
- There are people who live their whole lives in the same place while other people move several times. For example, over the course of their lives, people might move to another house, to another place for a job, or to somewhere with a warmer climate. What is your preference i.e. staying in the same place or moving if and/or when circumstances call for a move? Support your thoughts on moving with reasons and appropriate examples.
- There are times when being truthful is not necessarily the best policy. Is this a statement you would agree with or disagree with? Support your opinion with reasons and suitable examples.
- Most people work with or are likely to work with many different types of people. Name some characteristics you think are important in co-workers. Use sound reasoning and relevant examples to show why the characteristics you have chosen matter.
- Prizes and awards are usually used to recognize excellence across a variety of areas. Do you think these fulfill a worthwhile purpose? Support your opinion with reasons and suitable examples.
- Employees should be hired by their employers for life. Would you agree with or disagree with this viewpoint? Support your thinking with reasons and suitable examples.
- A whole lot of media types including magazines, newspapers, and television give excessive coverage to the private lives of well-known people including celebrities and public figures. Would you agree that this is the case or do you disagree? Support your views with reasons and relevant examples.
- Someone has made you a gift of some money. There is a sufficient amount for you to purchase either an item of coveted jewelry or tickets to a pop concert you would really like to go to. Which item would you spend the money on? Support your choice of purchase with reasons and relevant examples.
- Effective leaders are needed in a number of areas including in schools, businesses, and to run entire countries. Select an area from these three options and explain what qualities it is most vital for a leader in this area to have. Say why you think the qualities you have chosen are essential and support your choices with reasons and appropriate examples.
- People are generally thought to live longer lives nowadays. Explain why you think this might be the case and support your thinking with reasons and relevant examples.
- You have recently read a public notice outlining plans for a new play and movie theatre in the area where you live. Is this a plan you would be annoyed or pleased about? Support your thinking with reasons and appropriate examples.
- Do you think that governments should invest larger amounts of money to improve the country’s highways and roads or should they invest more in making improvements to public transport, e.g., trains, buses, subways, and so on? Explain your train of thought using examples and reasons to support your views.
Download PDF Topics
300 words per page instead of 280
Free Revisions (on demand)
Free plagiarism report (on demand)
Our Professional Help will Make Your Writing Process Easier
Our company will care for your needs regarding assistance in the academic field. We can handle our tasks well and produce good quality works, and thus, can help you to avoid recycled research papers. All works should have credible and well-documented references, and we take such requirements seriously. They are checked via a plagiarism detector each time to make sure that there are no similarities with other works on the Internet. We are concern about the quality of our work and the reputation of our company. We offer essay papers online for students who study in different fields. Many students from all over the world addressed us and they have not been disappointed.
We do essays of all programs in various disciplines. Usually, we have orders in Business Administration, Biology, Religion, Finance, History, Health Sciences, Marketing, International Business Law and others. But our capacity is greater as we have the writers experienced in other fields of study. If you need our help in your academics, do not hesitate and contact us! We are available any time, and we will offer you our assistance.
Writing Online Discussion Board
What our customers say
format_quote This writers presentation style is simply amazing and am so glad there were no delays format_quote
15 Aug 2019 at 01:22
Timothy H., Toronto, Canada
5 / 5
format_quote I think you are the best writing firm I have had to deal with. Instructions are followed to the letter and there is no delay, thumbs up! format_quote
22 Sep 2019 at 15:48
Mike W., Helsinki, Finland
5 / 5
format_quote On behalf of some of my classmates who have benefited from your services, I want to thank you most sincerely for the way you come in to assist us with our research proposals. Every student from my class who has hired a writer from your firm is actually going to graduate cum laude. Your efficient services have always ensured that we never get penalties for handing in our papers late. Once again accept our gratitude. format_quote
18 Nov 2019 at 23:12
Ron S., Florida, Georgia
4.5 / 5
format_quote This must be the best writer in your firm, its very rare to have such a perfect job done in record time without any complaints from my side, I'm just excited. format_quote
14 Dec 2019 at 04:10
Davidson B., Amsterdam, Netherlands
5 / 5
format_quote Words alone cannot suffice to explain how excited I am after receiving a straight A on the paper one of your writers assisted me to complete when I had gotten stuck. I don't regret getting into this working relationship with your firm. You are such a blessing. format_quote
11 Feb 2020 at 21:00
Dobson S., Perth, Australia
4.5 / 5