An effective resume or CV demonstrating your abilities will distinguish you from other applicants.
Usually, employers spend no more than 30 seconds looking through candidates' CVs or resumes. Only the best applicants will be invited for a job interview. If you want to be noticed by your prospective employer, follow these useful directions:
- Identify the demands of the prospective employer. Your resume should make a powerful impression on HR managers, so that they understand that a suitable candidate is found. It is good to create a resume or curriculum vitae corresponding to particular job vacancies. Thus, you should use keywords included in the job position description.
- Create a resume that is easy to follow. It will encourage an employer to read it.
- Each section of your resume should begin with the description of your most remarkable skills.
- Ask someone to proofread your CV or resume to avoid any mistakes.
- Provide accurate contact details.
- Present your experience and achievements that relate to the area the employer is working in. Express your thoughts in a concise but informative way. Avoid providing useless information about yourself.
- Be honest. Mention the cases when you have applied your skills.
Kinds of CVs and Resumes
This type of resume or CV is aimed at getting a specific job in the selected organization. It displays applicant’s skills, expertise, aspirations, etc. that correspond to the chosen job position. It is useful to write such a resume if you are aware of the job peculiarities.
This resume or CV demonstrates your career development i.e. the job vacancies which you have occupied from the very beginning till a particular moment. HR managers want to get detailed information about a prospective employee namely the list of recently held job positions. Employers want to know everything about your former responsibilities.
It is worth writing this kind of resume in case:
- You have an impressive professional record within a certain industry without serious gaps.
- Each occupied job position helped you achieve a higher rank.
- You have held high-powered positions.
- Your latest jobs are the most essential in your career.
The aim of a functional CV or resume is to present your achievements and skills rather than the ways they were used. Such a document categorizes your qualifications and puts an emphasis on those being relevant to the chosen job vacancy.
This type of resume is the most suitable for:
- graduates as they do not have experience in a specific area;
- people who have been unemployed for a long period of time;
- applicants who have decided to change their career direction radically.
A linking resume or CV links both chronological and functional types. First, it represents your skills and accomplishments and then your career history.
You should create a resume of such type if:
- You have carried out different duties and you need to demonstrate your skills.
- Your aim is to move in a specific career direction.
- You want to find a job relating to your expertise.
In case you do not have vast experience, cannot explain some gaps in your career, or change jobs often, it is better to write a resume of another kind.
This resume generally describes your qualifications and abilities. It does not provide specific details about an applicant. However, it still relates directly to applicant’s career ambitions.
You should prepare this type of resume if:
- You intend to send a resume to several companies
- You do not pursue any goal
- You want to save time and try to apply for a few positions
- You have decided to create several resumes setting different aims.
If you want to occupy more than one job position, you should produce a few inventory resumes. Nevertheless, you should know that this type of resume is not considered the most appropriate to everyone. Therefore, you should talk to an employment expert to know what resume will meet your needs most of all.