When you watch a movie, most likely you think about its entertainment value, and not about a question, “What is a critique paper on a movie.” However, sometimes you have to go beyond the surface and find a deeper meaning to a story – e.g., writing a movie critique paper.
The process of a movie review involves focusing on the intentions of filmmakers, understanding the purpose of the characters, and even doing some additional research to gain more knowledge about a director or a producer as a way of explaining their reasons for making the movie. Of course, you should include a brief summary of the movie from the start all the way through the climax and conclusion but only to provide some context for the reader. Ultimately, the purpose of writing a movie critique paper is to argue the merits of the movie based on evidence.
As you are watching a movie, it is important to rewind in order to thoroughly examine scenes and dialogues. Take notes on the main points of the movie. Focus on acting of the characters. Do they help to enhance the enjoyment of the movie and drive the plot? Did the writers spend enough time on character development? Keep in mind that the lack of depth of a particular character is not always a flaw and does not mean they serve no purpose. In fact, there are cases in which a vaguely defined character has the only task - to throw a few punches or act as a punch line. As long as it helps to drive the movie, it is necessary.
Once you have watched the movie and identified all of the points that you want to critique, you should develop a thesis that you intend to defend using evidence from the movie itself. In this way, a movie critique is very much a type of an academic essay, as it has an introduction paragraph, thesis statement, body paragraphs with topic sentences, and a conclusion discussing the broader implications of your critique.
Unlike a movie review, writing a movie critique paper is not intended to persuade the audience to see (or not see) a film that has recently been released. Indeed, the focus of a movie critique can be a film that was released decades ago. Aside from focusing on the plot elements, you should discuss whether the movie has survived the test of time.
For instance, are there issues that still remain relevant today? With hindsight, could you argue contemporary responses to the movie were misguided? Or is the film actually not as good as it was claimed to be? Whatever the approach you choose, you should remain consistent. For example, if you intend to argue the movie serves as a groundbreaking example of art-house cinema, everything you analyze - the filmmaker, actors, or plot - should be examined within this context.
If you are a student with the following question in mind, “What is a movie critique paper?” you might find it to be a challenge, since it requires you to look at a movie in ways you might have never considered. Looking at critique essay examples might be a good way to get started, but they will not necessarily serve as models for your paper, since the focus of your critique (as well as the movie that you are examining) can be different. Here are three major difficulties that students experience when trying to write a critique:
- Challenge #1. Time. You have to sit down and watch a movie even when you have other obligations, such as writing research papers and preparing for tests. Sometimes, you have to go back and look through the chosen scenes several times in order to catch subtle things that you might not have noticed initially.
- Challenge #2. Disinterest in the film. When you start watching a movie, you hope that you will find it entertaining. If you do, great! If not, you can just stop watching and look for an alternative. However, you do not get this luxury when critiquing a movie as a homework assignment. It could be the most boring movie in the world, but you still have to try and remain engaged.
- Challenge #3. Lack of experience. Unlike professional writers, you probably have not written a lot of critique papers. As a result, you might not know what to look for. You will certainly struggle with the analysis that is required, and here, you can consult the summary critique essay examples or read our tips.
300 words per page instead of 280
Free Revisions (on demand)
Free plagiarism report (on demand)
Tips for Critique Paper Writing
When writing a movie critique paper, you have to consider its structure. The tips below will facilitate your writing process:
- Genre definition. You need to identify how the film relates to its genre
- Story assessment. You need to pay attention to such elements as the plot and techniques used by moviemakers to tell the story. You should also state whether the plot is consistent and logical, and whether it is attractive to its audience.
- Script analysis. You need to consider if dialogues are well developed, as well as if monologues are persuasive to the audience.
- Your thoughts. You should present your point of view about the movie when analyzing it to write a critique paper. For instance, mention what you liked about it and suggest ways for improvement.
- Vivid examples. You must support your discussion with examples, such as quotes from the movie, or lines from dialogues.
The tips above as well as some film critique examples will help you to create a successful paper. In case you have no time or motivation to write such papers, it will definitely be better to refer to professional help from our team of highly skilled writers.
Read Our Free Movie Critique Sample
Our Help with a Movie Critique
If you are having a hard time with your movie critique assignment, the solution is just a few clicks away. For an affordable price, the experts at PrimeEssays.com will prepare your movie critique papers. Here are just a few reasons why you should order a custom essay using our services:
- Original Content. The movie critique that you order will truly be one-of-a-kind. Even if the movie you have been assigned to critique has already been examined numerous times, your custom paper will never be written or explored in the exact same way. At the same time, your paper will be written based on your instructions and will not contain plagiarism.
- Talented Writers. The writer, who is selected to complete your movie critique paper, is guaranteed to have relevant skills and background to complete it. He or she will understand proper techniques that go into writing this type of assignment. The final paper will be delivered within the set deadline.
- A Great Quality Assurance Team. Every paper is proofread by our talented editors, who make sure that it is grammatically sound as well as contains proper language and follows the right structure.
a movie critique?
requirements and proceed
with the payment.
order confirmation for
from the link in the
e-mail we send.
leave a feedback.
Timely Delivery and 24/7 Support
A custom movie critique paper is exactly what you need when you struggle on your own. For a reasonable price, you can receive a perfectly written paper that meets all your requirements. Best of all, it will always be delivered according to your deadline. If you have such questions as “What is a critique paper on a movie?” feel free to contact our friendly customer care team available 24/7, and we will help to get you started on the track to academic success!