The main aim of writing an expository essay is to provide logical explanations on the chosen or assigned topic. This type of essay should include a thorough analysis and valid arguments to support your main points. When you need to write an expository essay, you should keep in mind that providing your personal opinion on the chosen topic is not a priority task. Most importantly, you should define the main notions and concepts, and provide a clear explanation on the topic you are to investigate. For example, you might have such task, “Write an essay explaining how technologies have affected communication.” Pay attention that you are not asked to provide your personal viewpoint on the change in communication or argue on the advantages and disadvantages. You just have to explain in detail HOW technologies have changed the way people communicate.
Calculate the price
Five Steps of Writing an Expository Essay
Even though expository papers are a common type of writing, it can be rather challenging for one to provide an effective essay. Still, when adhering to the detailed instructions and writing what is asked from you, you will definitely learn how to write a successful essay.
Structure of the Expository Essay
As a rule, this paper should have five paragraphs: an introduction, the main body (usually three paragraphs), and a conclusion. The introduction is aimed to introduce the main topic of the paper (or the main idea the paper conveys). Usually, a thesis statement is provided at the end of the introductory paragraph. The body comprises paragraphs that deal with the essay question and develop the idea expressed in the thesis. A conclusion summarizes the key aspects discussed in the paper and restates the thesis statement (but in other words).
The following is a detailed description of the main steps towards writing a successful expository essay
Before starting writing, you should analyze the subject in detail and come up with the main aspect you want to focus on. Besides, it might as well be needed to conduct thorough research on the chosen or assigned topic. Thus, it is advisable to jot down the most important facts and note all aspects that might be helpful in examining the subject. When you have gathered enough information, go on with preparing an outline. It has to be properly organized: you should include all points that you want to discuss in every body paragraph. Remember to develop the paragraphs in a logical manner.
Getting ready with the draft
When providing a draft, follow such guidelines:
- The most essential constituent of the introduction is the topic sentence as it presents the central argument. The thesis, in its turn, should be a strong, well-developed, and coherent statement, which will be developed and supported throughout the following body paragraphs. Besides, the thesis statement should be written in such a way that it does not impose a certain opinion on the readers regarding the topic.
- Each body paragraph should be devoted to a separate idea, which should, in its turn, be directly related to the thesis statement. The body paragraphs should be developed well enough to fully cover the topic.
- The conclusive paragraph should restate the thesis statement and provide a summary of the key ideas explored in the paper. Make sure you do not introduce any new aspects of the topic.
- All in all, the main task of an expository essay is to analyze the topic and not reflect on it or relate to the writer’s own experience. Thus, do not use 1st or 2nd person in the paper (“I,” “we,” and “you”) but write in the 3rd person (“he,” “she,” “it”).
Revising the written text
Revision stage is aimed at improving the paper and making the necessary changes if necessary. Revision helps to look at the paper with a fresh eye and thus notice some flaws, mistakes or misprints. Very often, revision helps to organize the paper in a more logical way. So, to make sure you get an A for your paper, please take the following questions into account:
- Does the paper provide an unbiased and thorough analysis of the topic?
- Do you provide enough examples and facts to support the topic?
- Is the information presented easy to comprehend?
- Is there any information that might confuse the reader or distort the message you aim to convey? If yes, please get rid of it.
- Are the body paragraphs structured in a logical way?
- Have you provided transitions between body paragraphs?
- Have you explained the importance of the thesis statement in the conclusion?
- Is the paper accurate enough? If not, please look through the thesis statement and topic sentences once more. These constituents are a guarantee of successful writing.
Before submitting the paper, make sure to proofread and edit it. Do not merely rely on software checkers – proofread the paper attentively and look for all possible spelling, grammar or punctuation mistakes. Pay special attention to the writing tone and style. Make sure it is not only comprehensible but also interesting and appealing for the reader’s eye. You may as well ask your friend or relative to look through it and tell you his/ her opinion about the writing.
Submitting the paper
You might get equally anxious and excited before presenting your paper for the public. Be attentive when the professor makes some comments – try to grasp them all in order to avoid the same mistakes and flaws in your future papers.
Types of Essays
There is hardly a student who has never written an academic paper. Yes, writing academic papers is one of the most frequent assignments in any educational establishment. When studying, a student has to write numerous types of essays and other academic papers. Check out the following types of writing assignments:
- A definition essay focuses on providing a definition for a specific term (either assigned by a professor or of your own choice). You may define concrete and abstract notions alike. Besides, this kind of essay discussed both connotation and denotation of a given word.
- The main task of writing a classification essay is to categorize, or classify, some items into groups. First, it is important to cover the general group and then move on to its specific constituents.
- Compare and contrast paper explores the subject from the perspective of comparing and contrasting its characteristics with those of other subjects. The amount or number of the compared items can be any. This kind of essay helps define what is similar and what different between the points under discussion.
- A process essay gives a thorough explanation of a particular process, i.e. this type of academic writing provides clear directions on how to undergo a specific procedure.
- A cause and effect essay demonstrates how the objects under discussion are connected and which impact they have on one other. Therefore, the main task is to establish a link between the analyzed issues and show which of them refers to the “cause” and which the “effect.”
Free Expository Essay Sample from Us (Marijuana Legalization)
A critical aspect of marijuana legalization is the consequence on demand and supply. Prohibition imposes a risk on marijuana production and consumption. Nonetheless, the government can control the supply increase by striking a sizable production tax, which would cause the cost to growers to augment. In the short-run, the demand is going to skyrocket as marijuana becomes easily obtainable and more people feel like trying it. Although, the long-term effect of legalization on demand is hard to predict. Customer taste may steadily shift away from marijuana as some frivolous users choose not to take it, just like many people today abstain from alcohol and tobacco use. As such, this paper seeks to discuss the aspects that pertain the legalization and the importance of legalization.
Research asserts that, like alcohol and tobacco, marijuana legalization generates extensive tax revenues and creates significant public savings for the federal government and state and local governments.
Tentatively, Wright demonstrates that the government can generate revenues from replacing prohibition with an administration in which the drug is legal, but taxed and regulated like other merchandise in the market. As such, he approximates that legalization generates $5.9 billion annually if taxed like alcohol and tobacco. Nonetheless, in the case of amount adjustment, the annual tax revenues balloons to $8.9 billion in 2011 prices.
In addition, Miron disputes that prohibition requires direct enforcement costs. In the case of marijuana legalization, government expenditure turns down in the area of law enforcement, including police protection, judicial and legal systems, and corrections. Tentatively, he estimates that legalizing marijuana saves $6.7 billion per year in government expenditure to enforce prohibition (Miron, 2003). The benefit adds to $2.6 billion for police protection, $7.7 billion for judicial and legal systems, and $813 million for corrections. Of the total public savings of $11.1 billion, $7.6 billion accrue to state and local governments and $3.5 billion ensue to the federal government.
The legalization affects the expenditure imposed on the government. As such, the expenditure consists of three imperative components; the reduction of police resources attributed to reduced arrests. Secondly, it will assist in judicial prosecutions, as well as, prosecutorial resources as a result of elimination in marijuana prosecutions. Thirdly, legalization helps in the reduction of the number of inmates in the correctional facilities due to reduced incarceration.
Arguably, the advocates of such policies suppose that marijuana prohibition reduces drug trafficking as well as use, thus crime discouraging involvement in crime, thus improving health and improving productivity. As such, prohibition entails direct enforcement costs, and prohibition thwart taxation of marijuana production and sale. In the case of marijuana legalization as well as costs enforcement would be minimal, thus the government could levy taxes in marijuana sale. Tentatively, the government expenditure would reduce, thus the tax revenue augments. Questionably, the magnitude of the budgetary impact in the state is crucial.
Certainly, the market would more than like consist of those 21+ and it would be sold through a State Run Marijuana Distributor. As such, the unsurpassed decision of the State –in order to further reduce costs of implementation – would be to commence distribution through the many State Liquor Stores. Nonetheless, not only would this keep low costs, other than with the amount of survey responders believing the legalization age to be 21+ it would have no effect on jobs that are already in place.
Undoubtedly, the estimated expenditure savings as well as the revenue gains would be proficient in augmenting the state’s revenue.Certainly; the budgetary allusion of legalization exceeds those of decriminalization for three reasons. Legalization of marijuana would be proficient in eliminating drug trafficking in the streets as well as educational grounds. The traffickers involved with drug trafficking in the educational facilities would be eliminated thus providing a learning environment for the students. Additionally, legalization allows for taxation of the marijuana trade; presumptuous federal policy accommodates this goal.
Conclusively, the legalization would be beneficial to a state as there would be increased taxation, as well as concentrate the state’s resources to imperative issues that affect the state in question. Tentatively, the legalization would be proficient in crime reduction, in the various suburbs, as well as the learning facilities.
You May Find These Useful:
Exemplification Essay Composing a Narrative Essay Five Paragraph Essay Extended Essay