In course of studies, students are often assigned to analyze different issues, categorize them into groups, and present research results in a written form, i.e. by producing a classification and division essay. The purposes of writing this type of paper may vary greatly. You may be asked to classify sport equipment, group the items of expenditures of a certain company, or deal with other matters. The most important thing is to know what classification methods are and how to adopt them.
What Is a Classification and Division Essay?
A classification and division essay is an uncommon type of academic essay writing that entails classification of previously organized rational and logical connections between specific phenomena. When working on a classification and division essay, a writer is expected to classify the main essay arguments into separate categories.
How to Plan a Classification and Division Paper
Overall, there are two main steps in planning a classification essay. First of all, you need to make up y-our mind regarding what exactly you will classify. It is advisable to choose a topic that you are well-versed in. Apart from having interest in it, you are recommended to have solid knowledge in it in order to provide a high-quality paper. Whatever topic you choose, you need to know that you need to adhere to it throughout the whole essay development. Second, you need to divide the topic into subsections that relate to the ideas within the larger category that deals with the actual essay topic. These divided ideas will help you organize the paper into body paragraphs (each idea per body paragraph).
How to Provide an Outline for a Classification and Division Essay
On the whole, the main principles of writing outline are the same as in other essay types. You need to formulate a clear topic, provide background facts for the introduction, formulate a strong and clear thesis statement, decide how many body paragraphs you will have, compose strong opening sentences for each of the paragraphs (thus identifying the main essay subtopics), and come up with supporting ideas and arguments (as back-up evidence for each of the presented ideas).
How to Write a Classification Essay
You can look through classification and division essay examples if you are not sure about how to write a classification and division paper.
Actually, you need to take into consideration three important aspects. First of all, you need to be knowledgeable that all classified phenomena in the essay should add up to the general vision of the essay and make the essay sense and idea clear to the target audience. Second, all the identified in the paper should be analyzed consistently. Third, each category you have differentiated needs to comprise of sufficient examples and illustrations. With these things in mind, you will provide a premium-quality classification and division paper.
Writing a Strong Thesis Statement for a Classification Essay
What is a division essay? It is an academic piece of writing that classifies a single topic into a few constituents. The thesis statement of such essay should be strong enough to reveal the main essence of the topic and its classification. One should maintain a logical and clear structure of the thesis while composing it for this type of writing.
How to Structure a Classification Essay
- Introduction. Start with an introductory paragraph where you identify which classification you have opted for. Besides, you need to put forward a thesis statement with a detailed description what your classification entails and what it is for. Besides, depending on the paper length, you may want to provide some background information that sets the context for the study. As well as that, the introduction should draw attention of your target audience.
- Main body. When organizing body paragraphs for the division essay, it is advisable to start each of them with a strong and clear topic sentence. As a rule, the opening sentence should include information regarding what each paragraph will deal with. In other words, it provides readers with a brief summation of the core idea. After you have devised a topic sentence, it is advisable to add more examples, details, and illustrations. When structuring body paragraphs, make sure that you provide appropriate transitions in order to make them logical and structured. Moreover, organize the body paragraphs in the same order as the main ideas were mentioned in the thesis statement. To make body paragraphs coherent, make sure to utilize comparisons since they will act as transitions.
- Conclusion. This is basically a paragraph where you sum up the basic findings you have extracted from the main body paragraphs. The conclusion should be drawn based on the existing data and facts from the main body. You may provide an overall conclusion, where you provide a summation of the findings overall or you may conclude each of the aspects of classification that you have divided in the paper. Regardless of the way of concluding you choose, there is a need to ensure that you augment the initial reason of the study and justify the division that you have conducted.
Common Classification Transitions
If you have distinguished five items of classification, you may devote a paragraph for each. As such, you will have five body paragraphs.
An essential thing to take into consideration when composing a classification essay is that the writer should put forward useful classifications that are unique and adequately illustrate each of the divisions by providing clear examples.
The Nub of a Classification and Division Essay
By assigning students to write this type of paper, professors are aimed at teaching them to critically analyze the categorized things and find the relationship between them. As to the way of writing, a classification and division essay does not differ significantly from other types of papers. It is not complicated to produce such a work. Your task is to classify the items of a different character into suitable groups. One more way of preparing this essay is to divide the whole groups of objects into different categories.
Choosing a Topic and Making an Essay Outline
In order to produce an efficient outline, it is necessary to identify the aim of your essay and its direction. If you are to examine a complex topic requiring detailed research, you should think about the categories that can be defined within your area of study. For instance, if you study geography, you may think about classifying tectonic plates into groups paying attention to the structural peculiarities of modern Earth crust. You may single out the following categories:
- Tectonic plates with divergent movement;
- Tectonic plates with convergent movement;
- Tectonic plates with transform movement.
In case you are to explore an informal subject, you may write a paper about the things relating to daily routine. For example, you may create a list of shops in your area and group then in accordance with type of products they sell:
When writing a classification and division essay, it is rather useful to cite good examples and present one’s own considerations about the discussed matter.
Making an essay outline will help you formulate the classification and division principles. For example, if your paper is about modern literature genres, you may highlight the features of each genre and then present the most famous writers and their literary works.
Classification and Division Sample For Free
Students in schools have different characters. We have those who are serious with their educational life while others are not. The few take the academics seriously and follow the school rules and regulations to the latter. Students who are lazy are use shortcuts to achieve their academic ambitions. These shortcuts include copying both from books, friends and the internet... Read more